Thursday, September 26, 2013

Identity in Classroom Culture

Finding and developing identity is, in my opinion, the most crucial aspect of student development through their middle and high school years.  I believe that identity in the classroom has two major aspects:  student and individual.  What type of student are you?  What type of person are you?  I think the goal should be to have both of these questions as the same.

Students should see their academic and personal lives intertwined.  That's what I'm attempting to do with the implementation of an expansive independent reading revolution in my classroom that changes how students think about reading, not only in school, but also outside of school.

My classroom, for the most part, has a positive classroom culture.  I post student work, motivational quotations, and use bright colors to keep kids engaged.  There's a purpose behind where everything goes.

In regards to identity in my classroom, I allow students to explore their identity to the fullest extent...that's the basis behind my independent reading revolution. Students are able to make their own choices and "choose their own adventure" when it comes to independent reading.  Students are aware of their backgrounds in some regard, but also learning about other identities is vital for the continued development of their own.  Through reading books from perspectives other than their own (whether gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, etc.), so they can better solidify who they are, while appreciating others' identities.

This was last minute--my apologies.  I just kept on rambling............

No comments:

Post a Comment